If you are already running your payroll in-house and are looking to change the payroll software or you are looking at payroll software for the first time here are 10 areas to make sure you have covered in the investigation process:
1. What is the cost and how will it be charged?
2. Does the licence documentation cover the vendors obligations as well as the customers use?
3. How will you implement and set up the software? Do you have enough knowledge or do you need external help?
4. How will you manage the implementation project?
5. Is sufficient support provided as part of the package? Both on set up and ongoing.
6. If problems can’t be easily resolved what is the escalation procedure?
7. Are there any “hidden” ongoing charges?
8. How will upgrades be delivered? What is the company’s track record on timeliness of delivery?
9. Check on the detail guarantees and warranties.
10. Are there options for termination of the contract? Is the notice period sensible?
Get these 10 points sorted out and you will be much closer to trouble free payroll software implementation.